Thoughts and Impressions on the YoloBox Pro
Having just received the Yolobox Pro from our friends over at Yololiv, here’s a running summary of my thoughts on the device.
- Smells like a new pair of shoes!
- Very cheeky that there is no AC adapter…Only the USB C and A cables
- Would like a black power cable – white stands out too much when the YBP is in the camera shot
- Case construction is plasticy, but feels solid. Heavier than I had anticipated!
- I like that it can sit flat on a surface and the fan grill is not blocked
- Compact form factor and swiss army knife of connectivity is an obvious win – this device is unique in its category
- Bringing in and displaying user comments is easy
- The ease of bringing in remote guests looks promising – I need to test this workflow out more
- Want Bluetooth access for keyboard – I like the way Apple computers automatically remember the bluetooth pairing connection after plugging in and then disconnecting a USB cable
- Need to be able to access network settings while live streaming
- Does the audio bell notification of power connected/disconnected play through to program? Or just headphone monitoring? I tested this on my first livestream and the audio “ping” when power is reconnected only comes through headphone monitoring, not on to program
- Fan is loud for a presenting environment. Because it is touch screen controlled, it needs to be placed within arm’s reach, which places the fan in front of the microphone
- Would love remote control (Companion, Stream Deck, OSC etc) to be able to place the screen at a distance
- Can’t stream Privately to FB if you want to test the settings. Have to post publicly, which notifies everyone, then go to Facebook in a web browser and change to private.
- Kept getting “Update abnormal privacy status, please click the distribution switch button to redistribute; Or the user id has expired, please re-bind your Facebook account”. However, after rebinding, error message still appears.
- Forgets AFV Audio settings. Livestreams sessions do not remember audio parameters. For instance, I want it to remember HDMI 3 audio in, have AFV off by default, and to have my webcam audio Off.
- Forgets HDMI Program Out setting.
- Forgets USBC Out
- Forgets encoding settings and resets it to default 3000kbps. YouTube’s recommended rate is 4500, so I’d like YBP to remember that when it has been set.
- Live stream event description is not automatically copied to the resulting Facebook post (just shows up on Facebook as DESCRIPTION)
- Headphones have weird noise when scheduling a livestream on the white startup page
- #1 thing I want: integration with Companion, open up OSC control.
- Assignable Inputs 1-99…. So that you can recall shows and map it to a console.
- Add video conferencing platforms such as Zoom, Google Meet, and Skype. Use case: even in non-livestreaming productions, we often have to bring in remote clients to view a field shoot. Using a laptop is cumbersome on location.
- Screen Capture & Auto Thumbnail update – I want to pull screen grabs from program feed and save to SD card as a PNG/ JPEG. I use this all the time on the ATEMs when setting up a YouTube livestream – I’ll grab a still, and upload the image to be the program thumbnail. It would be amazing if Yolobox could automate this – with the option to update the livestream Thumbnail, and to save the image to SD card.
- Would like click and drag to arrange menu Icons in order of priority.
- Would like to be able to filter comments by platform source (currently available), but also all platform comments aggregated by time – so that you don’t miss a comment on a different platform.
- When in the “Full Screen” view of the monitor, would like to be able to view and select comments for on-air display as a screen overlay.
- FTP access… i.e. use a laptop to load a video into the SD card via the network, or copy off a program recording without having to eject the SD card.
“Invite Guests” Feature
YoloBox’s ability to invite guests on to a livestream shows a lot of promise. These are a few findings after using it live:
- Need a field in the web browser for guests to enter their name when they join. Currently they just show up as “GUEST42” etc. If the host doesn’t know their name (ie, a drop-in show) then there’s no way to differentiate between the “Guests”.
- If a guest drops off, the whole screen (even if the guest was part of a 2-UP/3-UP composite) goes black. Need to retain local HDMI source active in a 2UP, or have a default HDMI source to automatically switch back to.
- Need a more intuitive 2UP/3UP/4UP/5UP/6UP layout if a solo presenter/streamer is going to use the feature. Takes too long while on air to build composite shots.
- 8/12/2022: Experienced the whole YoloBox Pro crashing mid-livestream while trying to bring a composite of a Guest on screen. Need an intuitive recovery mode, since when re-entering the session, the “stop livestream” button was active, even though it was no longer streaming. Without wanting to close out the session and lose the audience currently watching on YouTube and Facebook, I was able to “pause” the livestream (rather than “Stop”), and then restart it again. Took two goes at this before it started streaming to Facebook again.
- Guest invite list – would like to remember contacts in Most Recent address book – perhaps even sync to Google Contacts.
Do you have any input on your own experience with the YoloBox Pro? Comment below!